Sunday, May 29, 2011

Writing my novel, word counts and summary

I've been working on my novel's rough draft and I'm quite pleased to say that I finished Part One! It is 18k words so far, but I will edit that down a bit. I'm aiming for 60k total, so part one of four should really be no more than 15k. I guess I just have a tendency to run away with words when I am excited. And I am very excited about this book!

In the many books I've started in the past, the characters were interesting, but the plots were as thin and transparent as water, and they trailed off and died in the middle of nowhere. I simply could not resurrect them. It was tragic, yes, but they are in a better place (unfinished manuscript heaven, of course) and I grieved and moved on. I believe this one is thick and creamy as milk, and is contained in a pretty glass pitcher so it wont be trailing off and going nowhere like my other ones, may they rest in peace.

This novel will be finished. At the very least, I will finish the rough draft. I've restricted my editing until I finished the first part, because I'm afraid I will be discouraged. Today, though, I edited some of Part One, removed a lot of useless things, and I feel good about it.

I've been trying to think of a one-sentence summary to describe the book. The best I've come up with so far is here:

"It's a middle grade fantasy about a budding sorcerer, and his struggle to free an important family from the mind controlling effects of a warlock determined to learn their ancient magical secrets at any cost."

That's probably more like three sentences crammed into one, but like I said: It's a work in progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment